Maria Brinks Wonderland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maria Brinks Wonderland Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
The Black Magnolia

The Black Magnolia

ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE Empty
PostSubject: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyTue Jun 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/theblackmagnolia
metalgod99

metalgod99

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyWed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 pm

cant see vid
Back to top Go down
sully97

sully97

PostSubject: All you drummers out there....   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Ummmm....well my husband is a professional drummer but your video is MIA!!!Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Empirical Guy

The Empirical Guy

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Yup... I'm a drummer, but you need to set your video to 'public' in your video manager on Youtube.
Back to top Go down
The Black Magnolia

The Black Magnolia

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 11:53 pm

THANX EMPIRICAL GUY WILL DO!
Back to top Go down
The Black Magnolia

The Black Magnolia

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 2:05 pm

It has now become public...problem fixed!
Back to top Go down
sully97

sully97

PostSubject: All you drummers out there....   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 9:44 pm

" And they all rejoiced yay!!!!!"
Back to top Go down
metalgod99

metalgod99

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 2:10 am

i used to bang on drums when I was a kid. nowadays i play the almighty axe Wink
Back to top Go down
The Empirical Guy

The Empirical Guy

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am

Always glad to help out in a drum topic Very Happy 

It's great if he's such a natural drummer and has been tapping away on things since an early age. Always a good sign. How old is he now? I started when I was 12, but there's really no such thing as starting too late or too early (aside from the size limitations of young kids being physically too small to play proper size kits!)

The number one thing I always say I wish I had done more of when I was starting out, was rudiments. They're the drum equivalent of playing scales on a piano or guitar. They seem really boring at the time when you just want to bash out your favourite songs, but looking back now I realize their importance and wish I had spent more time on them. They are boring, but will make you a better drummer in the long run.

Another thing, practice is key and patience is a must - patience from him, and you - and the neighbours! Drums are a loud instrument and it can be hard to do large amounts of practice without giving the whole street a headache. If you don't have a basement he can play in, consider a set of sound mute pads or an electric kit so he can play with headphones. The more you practice, the better you'll be, it would be a shame to limit talent because of sound restriction laws!

I'm also a big believer in practicing and learning to play with a metronome. Many drummers can't do this, and no matter how technically amazing you are, if you can't do it to a metronome, you're not really performing your number 1 task as a drummer - keeping time! Start early. I didn't, and 5 or so years in to playing I tried and realized how bad some of my timing issues were, and had to work to correct them. Might as well get on to it early. It's especially important in today's music, if he ever intends to be in a band and record in a studio, where everything is done with computers and lined up on a grid.

Lastly (for now!), find some drummers you really like (and don't be afraid to like them... like the guys you think are cool players, not just who ever is trendy and in the press a lot at the moment!), and study them. Listen to their stuff over and over, pay attention to their little tricks and what makes their playing stand out to you and try to emulate it. Have fun with it. If you hear someone playing something cool, break it down in to simple steps, keep working at it and it'll come in time.

I'd like to do a video, but am a little busy for it right now, maybe a little later. Talking drums is good though!
Back to top Go down
The Black Magnolia

The Black Magnolia

PostSubject: THANX!   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 pm

EMPIRICAL GUY THANK YOU!!! Can you do me a favor? make a video of what you just said here with examples etc? It doesnt have to be long...its just that my son who is 9, loves to see shows about how things work etc...ex. MYTHBUSTERS. Thanx again doll! LOVE YALL!
Back to top Go down
The Empirical Guy

The Empirical Guy

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 5:16 am

Sorry for the delay, I can make a video but things have been hectic here lately. Will get to it ASAP.
Back to top Go down
The Black Magnolia

The Black Magnolia

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 8:44 pm

THANX! I UNDERSTAND!!! Mine is hectic too rendeer 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE   ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE Empty

Back to top Go down

ALL YOU DRUMMERS OUT THERE...ADVICE PLEASE...VIDEO MESSAGE
Page 1 of 1